Review of "Saddle the Storm"

"I hit the jackpot with you, star fire."

31st book of the year and achieved my goal I set!! This was a pretty decent read, but let's get into it!

Saddle the Storm by June Lark is the third in the Thornbrush Ranch series following Christian Riggs and Sage Pardy. Sage arrived at Christian's parents house while escaping from a domestic violence situation that we get a small insight to in the prologue. She hid from everyone aside from Agatha and Bill Riggs, only appearing after a year once she knew she was safe and settled in.

The story takes place four years after the events between her and her ex, and we learn right away that Christian is obsessed with her. And I mean OBSESSED. He's in love with her, asking her out all the time, even though she declines, and continues to pine after her. So when her ex shows up and threatens the safety that she's created for herself in the past few years, he does the unthinkable and says that they're engaged. Of course, they have to put this whole charade up with everyone in their close circle, in case Clayton comes to speak to any of the others.

This causes some issues, obviously. Sage has her heart so guarded and still keeps up with her no kissing rule, even after making out with Christian during the summer the year prior. She feels it's too intimate, and has yet to make that step with another man after her ex. That doesn't stop her from being with Christian in other ways, though, and suggests keeping their relationship strictly over text. Well, we all know that doesn't last long.

I loved their relationship throughout the book, from Christian being so obsessed with her that he'd do anything to be with her, to feeling guilty for how things played out in Las Vegas after they woke up married after a drunken night. He was so hurt that he didn't do it the right way, even though they both agreed to keep the marriage together for the sake of keeping Clayton away. 

Sage was also such a wonderful, complex character, with her trauma and everything she remains headstrong and wanting to open herself up. I love her reclaiming her scars and trauma with tattoos, the only thing I wish we could have seen more of was her in terms of being Indigenous. I also loved how she was so willing to help Alani when she showed up, knowing how it felt to be in her shoes before. I really disliked how Alani was a FUCKING PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR!!! I knew it from the start something was fishy about it.

I think the smut in this book was so delicious. It was such a slow burn before they finally did anything further than teasing one another and using their hands only. Not to mention...my favorite moment with Christian...him licking the leather seat where she was sitting in his truck???? That man is down BAD for her and I was here for it. Plus the use of brushes on her??? Damn.

The ending felt so stunted, I liked them finally being engaged for real this time and all, but I really wish we could have seen a more tender moment between them after he saved her from Clayton instead of them fucking. I mean I get it, but it didn't feel like the right time and place when she's close to tears after having come so close to being killed multiple times and having no idea if Christian was alive or not. I also did not know there would be a murder plot within this, so the triggers aren't that...detailed and well described. I had no clue it was a dark romance sort of story, in a way, but I definitely enjoyed it.




Comments

Popular Posts