Review of "A False Start"

"What's between us isn't skin-deep. It's soul-deep."

I've been wanting to read this one for weeks and just recently, it was finally back in stock at the bookstore, so I snatched it up and here we are! This one really lived up to my expectations and it is definitely one of my favorites by Elsie!

A False Start by Elsie Silver is the fourth book in the Ruby Creek series, following Nadia Dalca, the sister of Stefan who was the MMC from the previous book, and Griffin, his best friend. The whole ordeal is that Nadia and Griffin first met when she was making out with a guy in the men's bathroom of the town's pub, and they shared a searing kiss after Tommy walked out. Since then, he's all she can think about, and surprise surprise, come to find out that he's the friend that Stefan has always talked about, and it's revealed that he's staying on their property for the summer.

It starts off easy to resist each other, Griffin doesn't say much to her, and it bothers her to no end. They have to stay away from each other because not only is Griffin Stefan's best friend, but he's also fourteen (14!!!) years older than her. Which, I was very glad to realize that we were not in fact going to be reading about when she was 19, I am very glad she was aged up. However, I still have my issues with that, but I'll get into that in a few. I love a good age gap and this was just so delicious. The forbidden aspect of it, throwing in a little secret romance, ugh. 

Soon, it becomes harder and harder for them to stay away and what leads to them finally giving into one another is a little getaway to the mountains and sleeping next to one another in separate tents. The tension this scene had was INCREDIBLE. Them separated and when Griffin hears her masturbating, that's what breaks it and my GOD. The mouth this man has???? Had ME blushing while reading it. DAMN. Who knew a man of few words would have such a filthy mouth, I couldn't get over it. The smut in this book was just...chef's kiss. It wasn't overloaded with it, and I actually enjoyed that. We got a few scenes, and when they appeared...I was surely not disappointed and left unsatisfied. Griffin just...I have no words. My god.

Focusing on the more heavier aspects of this book, both Nadia and Griffin have their demons. Nadia came from an abusive home, one of which Stefan was able to escape, and she holds some resentment for him with that. Griffin, on the other hand, has demons that he has inflicted on himself. He's an alcoholic who suffered an accident while playing professional football, one that ruined his career, ruined his life and relationships, and his speech. I didn't particularly care for how he refused to face certain things and not want to better himself, but I do love how all he really needed was to be loved and cared for by someone who saw him for him. Someone to give him the motivation to better himself, because even though Nadia loved him as he was, she didn't deserve to deal with a man who refuses to better himself.

I love the strength of Nadia throughout the book, not taking shit from anyone anymore, especially not from Griffin, and I love how she wants to push and do what she wants and have some success in her life that is her doing. She isn't super confident with going into vet school, but I admire how she pushes herself to do it for the sole reason that she knows she can and wanting to refuse to listen to that voice in her head that tells her she can't. I wish I had that strength, honestly. 

As you'll see with my rating, this wasn't exactly a five-star. Mainly for the writing. As much as I love Elsie's books, sometimes her writing can be a hit or miss. This one had some misses. For starters, I really disliked the fact that Nadia was "barely legal" kept being brought up in the beginning. She's 21, she's an adult, and I understand that being stated when she was 19 when they first met, and still very icky to point out especially after they've kissed. But we don't need to be reminded of it so often. It got better as the book went on, but we know the age gap is large and she's young, but that term felt so gross to me. Another single word that took this book down half a rating was the sentence... "my kitty flutters". I cringed SO HARD. I get it, she got a little turned on when seeing Griffin, but that is just...no. Absolutely not, please never say that again.

I loved the whole "wildflower" nickname that Griffin gives her and how it basically shapes their entire relationship, and how he sends her little packets of wildflowers and explains how they remind him of her, IT WAS SO SWEET. Who knew Griffin Sinclaire could be such a softie. One of my favorite themes throughout the book was the fact that they always knew when the other was looking at them. Whether it was from across the room or across a field, they always knew and it was like there was some invisible string attached to them. They truly are soulmates and it was just a perfect addition to their story.

Overall, I really did love this book and as I said, it lived up to my expectations. Didn't really care for the pregnancy thing in the end, obviously, and I would have loved if Nadia didn't consider dropping out of vet school just to get back with Griffin, but I'm glad she stuck it through and got an education. I also would have loved to see the horse rehab he set up for her and how that went years down the line, but it is what it is. Below is my overall rating.











Comments

Popular Posts