Review of "Twisted Games"

 I can't believe I've had this book on my shelf for a year (or maybe two...I can't remember) and I'm JUST now getting around to it! 13th read of the year complete!


For some reason, I've had some hesitation with reading this Twisted series by Ana Huang, and I can confidently say I should not have waited this long to get to it. For some reason, it gave me romantasy vibes, and while that's great, I'm not a big fan of fantasy books. Boy was I wrong.

Twisted Games follows Princess of Eldorra Bridget von Ascheberg and her newly appointed bodyguard Rhys Larsen. The two instantly clash heads from the moment they meet, Bridget being a hardheaded and stubborn woman and Rhys being a massively overprotective and cold-hearted man. Rhys has a job to do: protect Bridget while she lives in the U.S. and don't get involved with her personal life.

And we know how the story goes...

As the story goes on, Rhys becomes slightly more obsessive over her, and it's not having to do with him being her bodyguard. Of course, because of the forced proximity, they start to fall for one another as the years pass. Though life throws them for a real challenge, when Bridget's brother and future King, Nikolai, decides to abdicate from the royal family as he fell in love with a commoner. I absolutely loved the way this throws off Bridget's entire plan for her life, seeing as she was years and years away from ever being in line for succession of the throne, to it being thrust upon her with his departure.

It added so much angst, especially surrounding her secret relationship with Rhys, seeing as she now had to marry someone of noble status, leading to a VERY jealous and possessive Rhys Larsen that I was living for. Him breaking the potted plant and acting like it was an accident? So comedic and perfect. 

Even from the beginning, his protectiveness over her was just so...engaging. To breaking a paparazzi's camera after he snuck pictures of her at her parents' grave, and threatening anyone that came within a certain distance of her, he's the classic "touch her and die" boyfriend and it makes him even more perfect.

The course of Rhys and Bridget's relationship is anything but normal. When she hears that her brother is abdicating, she makes it her mission to do four things before she has to head back to Eldorra and assume responsibilities she was far from ready for. Something that Rhys helps her with...in more than one way. I cannot get the Costa Rica scenes out of my head! Everything about their trip had my heart soaring. From him watching how carefree she is, to making sure she gets everything she wished for, remember bucket list number four (wink wink). Although, I think my favorite thing about that trip was her being so gentle and sweet upon seeing the scars on his back.

It's obvious from the start that Rhys did not have a good life growing up, or especially into adulthood. From being abused by his mother, to being in the navy and seeing his fellow servicemen die in ways they didn't deserve to, it's clear he is this wounded and broken soul. But Bridget, seeing the marks on his back and realizing that's why he's never been fond of taking his shirt off, just kisses them and admires them like they are the stars in the sky they laid underneath. She sees him not as a broken man who is not good enough, but a man who has been hurt and betrayed by those supposed to be supporting and loving, and it makes my heart melt; from that moment, it was so clear that their love was going to be something special.

While I have so many positives about this book, every story is going to come with at least some negatives. However, I can only think of two. One is the time jumps. And I realize that it's inevitable, when you have a story where the two characters are on a two-year journey of knowing one another and falling in love, it's not like it can be drawn out much. But the time jumps really did throw me off. In one chapter, there was a one year jump in a single paragraph. No other indications, like starting a new chapter, or even a header that states they're a year ahead now. Just one single paragraph that went through the seasons, and that was it. It happened a couple more times, and while it doesn't overshadow the pros I have regarding this book and the writing, it did stick out to me.

Another thing, which really is such a minuscule thing, is the fact that Rhys seemed to have trouble remembering who people are. Throughout the entire book, it's a known fact that Rhys can do any sort of research on anyone, and spout it out the second he sees them. He did it with Bridget's dates, anyone that was around her, hell, he could do it with someone just walking down the street. Well, maybe not, but you get what I'm going for. So tell me why he is having trouble remembering certain people's titles when the time for Bridget's coronation day arrives? Why did he have to have Andreas teach him and why was he so proud of himself for remembering? Maybe it's just me, but I doubt a man who once said researching someone a year in advance, and even five years, before meeting or dating was a necessity, wouldn't be able to do his own research and get everyone's titles locked down. Maybe it was a way of showing just how out of place he is when it comes to high profile events and such, compared to a single person or two in a confined area that he was so used to with body guarding.

All in all, I absolutely loved this book, and would one hundred percent reread. From the yearning and possessiveness, to the angst Rhys faces when he realizes he's fallen in love with a woman he can't have, to the whole "you're mine and no one else's" and the plot twists that sent a wave of shock through me, because I did NOT in fact see ANY of that coming, this book truly has it all, and I cannot wait to read more from Ana in the future!

Below is my overall rating.








Comments

Popular Posts