Review of "Downpour"
Oh look, I finished another book I just recently bought instead of the many on my shelf. Surprise surprise. It's been a bit since I finished a book thanks to the small reading slump I've been in, but happy to report I finally finished my 15th book of the year!
Downpour by Maggie Gates is the second book within a standalone series surrounding the Griffith brothers and the farm that they live in. It follows Brooke, a caretaker, mainly for elderly folk, who does house visits and runs errands for said elderly patients, and Ray, the grumpiest former bull rider who, in a bull riding accident, became paralyzed and bound to a wheelchair, forced by his family to have caretakers help him.
However, he keeps firing every single person that walks through his door, whether that's for them talking too much, coddling him, or bursting into his home like they own the place. That is until Brooke shows up and her sunshine and bright attitude isn't enough to give into Ray's seemingly forever grumpy attitude.
I will say, Ray? Hands down one of the grumpiest yet most sweet book boyfriends I have ever read. The fact that he has a real and deep reason to be grumpy, I just absolutely loved the way it was portrayed. We see him lose everything in only eight seconds, and that is absolutely not an easy thing to come back from nor is it easy to adjust to, especially when he's well into his thirties and that was all he knew. Having to adapt to things like showering, eating, getting in and out of bed, relying on people especially since he was always the one to refuse help from others gives him a real reason to be grumpy and angry at the world.
It's stated in the beginning that he is quadriplegic, but as he works through some therapy and other experiments, he is able to gain strength back in his upper body and use of his arms, which leads to him being just paraplegic instead. I love the fact that even though he's upset with the cards he's been dealt, he continued to show up to physical therapy and better himself, even on days when he didn't want to.
I can't speak for much on how realistic his injury is and things he does because of it, but I did enjoy seeing how it played out for him and how it affected him. Like I said, he's mad for a reason and has ever right to be, and I could definitely feel the frustration in his dialogue throughout the entire book. I also loved his healing journey and being brave enough to get the mental health help he needed, and I could really see how much of a different person he was in the beginning compared to in the end.
Now...as for Brooke. I'm sorry to say, I found her slightly too insufferable in the beginning. Because what do you mean you're always late for your job and then get scared when they're close to firing you??? Losing the company multiple clients for being an hour or two late for things?? AND MIXING UP MEDS??? Absolutely not. It made no sense to me!! And then to see her continue to be late when working for Ray, it was ridiculous. Although after a couple chapters of her easing into the routine of working for him (I.E. ignoring him until he needed help and just lounging around the house and the property), I could tell she realized just how important this job is and how she can't mess it up anymore. She was so insufferable. I'm all for grumpy sunshine, but she felt like way too much in the beginning, I found it hard to believe someone as dark and storm-clouded as Ray would have any ability to be around someone like who she was in the beginning.
I did like the subplot of her roommates being the ones breaking onto the property and stealing the tools, Ray's pills, and setting a fire (unintentionally) to the lodge just to get money from her. I didn't see it coming, but it also wasn't exactly resolved.
I feel like, even though I did enjoy this book, I had a lot more negatives in regards to Ray and Brooke together. It felt so quick. There was not much build up to the romance and them getting together, I would have liked a slightly more stretched out story than them bickering, and him falling in love instantly. It didn't seem...on point for a character that hates the world so much and doesn't expect himself to ever find normalcy again. I expected at least some pushback, but seventy something pages in, she's laying in his lap and everything.
Aside from that, the tire swing scene??? I loved!! The spice and him tying her up to kind of help himself with holding onto her??? I LOVED. Overall, however, this book wasn't anything special to write home about, personally. The only thing I really can't stop thinking about and fawning over is Ray, which is why I've rated it as high as I did.
Oh! Another character I could NOT stand was Cassandra. I did not like her at all. She was far too mean and demanding and just...over the top. And it's brushed off as she's all business, she's just serious, she means well. Sorry, every time she opened her mouth, I wanted to slap her. She was just not nice!!! Anyways. Onto the next. Below is my overall rating.




Comments
Post a Comment