Let's talk tropes
The Carolina Hurricanes are currently playing right now, I'm unable to get some reading done, so I'm taking this time to yap about stuff. Specifically, tropes! As a fanfic writer and reader, I'm pretty well-versed when it comes to the common ones, you know the classic friends-to-lovers, enemies to lovers, the ones everyone knows when you ask what tropes are.
And while the classics are classic for a reason, I've been wanting to expand what I read; I can only take so much enemies to lovers, as much as I love it. So, here are five tropes I'm dying to read more of, and five tropes I could do without reading.
1. Second chance romance
Second chance romance is trope that is characterized by the two main characters having had a history with one another, whether that was a relationship, a one night stand, unrequited love, then meeting at a later date in their lives and falling in love all over again, or for the first time. I haven't read many of these, just because I love the storyline of two characters meeting and then falling in love, but I am seriously missing out on this trope! Change of Hart by Bailey Hannah and Protect by Paisley Hope are two books within this trope that I have read and both MMC's are two of my top book boyfriends. Definitely need more in my TBR!
2. Arranged marriage
Now this trope, I've not read much of. But recently, I've read some book summaries within this trope, and marriage of convenience, although that's slightly different, and I can see the angst already. Especially when it goes with an enemies to lovers. The idea of the two characters having to be civil in public around other people but not able to stand one another in private is something I need more of in my life! I can't say I've read any books with this, I may have read some fanfiction with this trope, although it's usually found in fantasy or genres alike, which I'm not a big fan of.
3. Sex club/BDSM
I'm warning you now, if you know me personally, I suggest you scroll to the next!! This is relatively new, but as mentioned in a previous post, I'm currently reading Praise by Sara Cate, with another book in the same series sitting on my bookshelf, one in my TBR, and two more books by Sara in my TBR as well. The series follows the owners and employees of an exclusive sex club and it's really opened my eyes to a new genre. I'm loving the dynamics and not to mention how hot and spicy it is! Multiple times I had to pause to take a breath, whew! I see many more books similar to this in my future reads and I'm far too excited to read the other books by Sara.
4. Why Choose
I've only read one book with this trope, and that was Pucking Around by Emily Rath, which I HIGHLY recommend. It's unrealistic at times, but books are books, anything can happen. I absolutely loved the banter between the characters, throwing in a little MM as well, which is always wonderful. It's so much better than a love triangle because no one gets hurt in the end, everyone gets a happy ending (well, a majority of the time). Can't go wrong. I have one in my TBR list called Highland Hideaway by Lily Gold, taking place in Scotland. I cannot wait to get my hands on that one because all three MMC's seem so perfect.
5. Age Gap
Again, if you know me, scroll away! This is one I've recently come to love and I absolutely need more of it in my life. I never saw the appeal until I read Chasing the Wild by Elliot Rose, and even adding in another trope that I've been loving (and reading within Praise as well), the MMC is the dad of the FMC's ex boyfriend. Something about a rugged, thirty-five to forty year old man just makes my brain melt. From Cade Eaton to Sebastian Rousseau (ALSO an ex-boyfriend's dad story...), I just want more.
Now for the tropes I can do without.
1. Accidental pregnancy
Starting off strong, I can't do surprise pregnancy, or really any pregnancy stories. I've tried, believe me, I have, but I like reading to escape reality and live in a fantasy that I want to live in. And being pregnant is not a fantasy I want to imagine. I got through it (barely) with Honor by Danielle Baker, though that wasn't surprise, but pregnancy no less. I disliked it so much, it made me recoil and just...cringe. It's the reason I'm not reading one book in Bailey Hannah's Wells Ranch series, because it's an accidental pregnancy. I can't. I've come around to single parent stories, but pregnancy is a nope. I ESPECIALLY hated it in Heartless by Elsie Silver.
2. Love Triangle
This trope, I don't feel super strongly towards, I just dislike the idea of one character getting hurt. When it's done right (and maybe with a HEA where no one gets heartbroken) MAYBE. But I can't say I've read many. I have actually written one, and I struggled so much. I ended it with one character, which was the original idea I had, but I felt terrible. So, unless one character does something completely unforgivable or they all end up together, this one is a no for me.
3. Childhood Friends
This is a classic, of course, but not for me. I love a meet cute, I love two people getting to know one another, learning each other's quirks and falling for one another. Don't get me wrong, the idea of two people loving each other since they were kids and finally getting together 20+ years later is the SLOWEST OF BURNS, but a little too plain for me. Give me the classics all day, but I'll pass on this one.
This is a trope I've been avoiding for YEARS as a fanfic reader and writer. Something about it, I just don't like. Maybe it's because I like to insert myself into the stories (don't judge, I know so many other people do it as well) and nothing about being a singer or even a musician appeals to me. It's why I'm avoiding one of Paisley Hope's books, and so many others where the FMC is a singer or actress or musician of some sort. I am also not a fan of the MMC being one either.
5. Step-sibling
This trope falls more under dark romance-ish, specifically within the forbidden romance tab. And while I love a forbidden romance, this one...a big yikes for me. There are plenty of books by authors I love, where the story and premise sounds delicious and promising, only to see that the characters are step-siblings. It just feels so wrong, and again, books are meant to be fantasy, but this one I personally can't look past. There are plenty of tropes out there, I think I'm okay without this one.
I could go on and on about so many more that I'm missing that I've recently been loving, but this is already long enough, the Canes have won their game, so I can get some reading done for the night. I might even do micro-tropes soon, so be on the look-out for that!




Comments
Post a Comment